The Association of Consultants in Access Australia (ACAA) National Conference and Trade Expo is the leading industry event focusing on universal design and accessibility in the built environment across Australia.
This event is fast approaching on 7-9 October 2015 at the Melbourne Cricket Ground.
Early bird registrations close on 11 September 2015, please register now…
ACAA is offering a program filled with must attend events including the following:
- International Keynote Speaker, Edward Steinfeld – architect and gerontologist with special interests in universal design, accessibility, and design for the lifespan;
- Plus I’m presenting the White Paper “Universal Design meets the Exit Sign” on Thursday 8 October, 2015;
- Streamed program of speakers with topics of interest to all;
- Meet and Greet Wednesday 7 October, 2015 – 5.30 – 6.30pm with drink & finger food;
- Conference Dinner Thursday 8 October, 2015 – 6pm. Our dinner entertainment is Jason Akermanis (Aker) highly-regarded public speaker. Incredibly entertaining, forthright, and able to bring a room of thousands together, he is motivational, intelligent, and comes with a lifetime of stories to share
Universal Design meets the Exit Sign
The presentation will provide an overview of the Accessible Exit Sign Project.
The Project is an international awareness campaign that promotes the need for an accessible means of egress.
The objectives of the Project are to start discussions between industry stakeholders, disability groups, legislators, developers, and insurers etc, to look at better building design solutions that provide safer buildings, reduce risk and meet the needs of all occupants.
A critical part of safe evacuations is providing clear wayfinding information for all occupants, with appropriate exit signage to identify the accessible exits, refuge areas, evacuation lifts and other evacuation devices. It will provide an overview of the:
- Background on the international awareness campaign started in Melbourne;
- Current building code exit sign requirements;
- Comparison to other westernised countries;
- Comparison to the ISO 7010 / ISO21542 design; and
- Update on progress of Project.
I hope to see you there, and if you can make it, please make sure you come and have a chat with me.
Kind regards, Lee